Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012, 5:30 – 8pm
ICERM, 121 South Main Street, Providence RI
RSVP at Facebook
ICERM (Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics) officially opened last fall in the renovated top 2 (amazing) floors of 121 South Main Street, and we’re all invited to visit that space. Hot topics that the ICERM community is expected to tackle include cryptography, cybersecurity, personalized medicine, search engines and social networks.
On Wednesday the 23rd, Professors George Karniadakis and Jeffrey Hoffstein will give us a double header of talks. Professor Karniadakis will present on the topic of how math and supercomputers are powering virtual biomedicine, and Professor Hoffstein will give a talk called “Math + Cryptography = $$? A funny thing happened on the way to the bank”. Don’t miss this!
We’re grateful to this geek dinner’s sponsor, Betaspring, who is stepping in to close any gap in funds between what you folks eat and drink and the minimum that our caterer requires. (Also, the early application deadline is fast approaching for Betaspring’s Fall 2012 accelerator.
Please RSVP at Facebook – and while you’re there please join our Facebook group. And if you want to join our very-low-volume email announcement send an email to Jack Templin, firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and affiliation.
As always, for first-timers here are the details on the Geek Dinners:
- The event itself is FREE! Beverages and food are for sale right at ICERM, brought to you by Russell Morin Fine Catering.
- Doors open at 5:30pm. Socializing, eating and drinking up until the presentation/q&a around 6:30pm. Afterwards, back to socializing, eating, drinking…
- It’s totally casual. Wear whatever, bring whoever, arrive and take off whenever! And don’t worry about eating or not – come famished or full – eating is optional, and frankly, the least of the festivities (that’s not say the food isn’t good – it’s actually great)
- Topics of conversation will vary as they will at any gathering of geeks, but many of us will be talking about AJAX, mash-ups, start-ups, new devices, innovative business models, interaction design, social computing, digital art, web services, etc. etc. etc.
- There is Wi-Fi so bring your connected device of choice.