For the October Geek Dinner, we’ve got one word for you for : nanotech, baby!
Actually — and better yet — it’s Nanosteel, a largely under-the-radar Providence-based startup that’s leading the charge to create a new generation of steel, based on nano-structures. The 30-person team has raised $50+ million to date — most recently from GM Ventures — to fuel their mission.
Nanosteel’s products are significantly stronger than traditional steel. So for example, using Nanosteel, an automotive manufacturer can achieve the same strength with thinner gauges. This means less weight and ultimately, better fuel economy. Awesome, right? It gets even better though: due to Nanosteel’s hardness and wear-resistance, its powdered-form is proving to be an ideal material for additive manufacturing (think industrial-strength 3d printing).
On Wednesday the 15th, Nanosteel CEO David Paratore will tell the Nanosteel story, demo their products, and give a sneak peek at where this ambitious startup is headed next.
See you there! You won’t want to miss this.
Please RSVP at Facebook – and while you’re there please like our Facebook page. And if you want to join our very-low-volume email announcement send an email to Jack Templin, firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and affiliation. As always, for first-timers here are the details on the Geek Dinners:
- The event itself is FREE! Beverages and food are for sale at AS220’s excellent bar and restaurant.
- Doors open at 5:30pm. Socializing, eating and drinking up until the 30 min presentation/q&a around 6:30pm. Afterwards, back to socializing, eating, drinking…
- It’s totally casual. Wear whatever, bring whoever, arrive and take off whenever! And don’t worry about eating or not – come famished or full – eating is optional, and frankly, the least of the festivities (that’s not say the food isn’t good – it’s actually great)
- Topics of conversation will vary as they will at any gathering of geeks, but many of us will be talking about AJAX, mash-ups, start-ups, new devices, innovative business models, interaction design, social computing, digital art, web services, etc. etc. etc.
- There is Wi-Fi so bring your connected device of choice.